Sunday, January 8, 2012

Segovia, Spain

Every time I take a trip outside of Madrid, I am always amazed; my imagination apparently doesn't have the capacity to imagine how beautiful these places actually are. And of course - seeing anything in person is always so much better than in pictures. So, if you're hanging out in Madrid and need something to do instead of twiddle your thumbs and grumble about the disgustingly crowded streets in the city, I highly recommend a day trip to Segovia. There are trains that go every couple of hours from the Chamartin station (best to get there early) and you can get roundtrip tickets for about 20-30 EUR.

 Beautifully FREEZING cold

 Our yummy homemade sandwiches with hard-boiled eggs, tuna, and a homemade honey dijon mustard sauce. MMM


The Roman Aqueduct of Segovia is one of the main attractions in Segovia and is believed to have been built around the end of the 1st century and the beginning of the 2nd. It is one of the most well preserved and still functioning aqueducts in Europe. 

At about 96 feet high, it's a pretty impressive structure that left my friend and I in awe. Literally. My friend almost hyperventilated right when we got off the bus.

The cathedral in the Plaza Mayor

Knock if you dare #2


Beautiful Castilla y Leon-ean countryside.


Translation? Don't piss on the grass! Okay, it actually means "Don't step on the grass" but.. come on, my version is better, no?

Supposedly Sleeping Beauty's castle is based off of this one here in Segovia

The Segovian Alcazar. I know what you're thinking... what's the difference between an alcazar and a castle? Well, it's basically the same thing but the word 'alcazar' derives from an Arabic word al-qasr meaning fort, castle, or palace. Curiosity DEFINITELY killed the cat on this one     -___-

Cool tiled map in the informational center of the alcazar.


This I dedicate to my dear friend, Jackie K. Enjoy.

The beautiful sky.

More beautiful sky

In the Jewish Quarter


(Yes, I know... Christmas is over but I couldn't resist sneaking in one last remnant of the holidays)


I think Segovia has stolen my heart because it's my favorite Spanish city so far. I can't really pinpoint why because the Alhambra is definitely breath-taking and magnificent and even Toledo is very quaint and charming, but something about Segovia's quiet majesty really made an impressionable mark on me. Until next time, mis amigos. Besos!

No comments:

Post a Comment