Sunday, December 18, 2011

Fête des Lumières

Lucky for me, I was able to travel to Lyon, France's second largest city (after Paris) and attend the annuaFête des Lumières or the Festival of Lights. Umm and DOUBLE lucky to be able to stay with my good friend Vicky P. and her absolutely lovely French host family. I know I say this often and I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but the Festival of Lights  is definitely a bucket-lister. The amazing light shows (almost like a MASSIVE rave but oh so much BETTER), the tantalizingly unhealthy street food, and the boozably warm vin chaud aka mulled wine ALL stole my poor little heart. Lyon, je t'aime <3



Basilica of Notre-Dame de Fourvière

Place Bellecour


Nosy as I am, I tried running towards it to see what was going on but the firefighters beat me to it... poop.

Art installation of dancing light people

View of Lyon from above


The interior of the cathedral


Gallo Roman; ancient roman ruins 


Homemade French raspberry jam + croissants = yum yum in my tum tum!

And thus begins the madness....



The Lumiere brothers projected onto the front of a cathedral


Light show installation. The cool part about all of these light shows was that they played music along with it so the whole experience was very beautiful and moving.








Sortie means "exit"







Our ghosts haunt us

Furry man selling roasted chestnuts :)


Full on dead chickens.... feathers and beaks, intact in all its glory. I love to eat chicken but this for sure ain't makin' me hungry

French nougat SO good

Tartiflette - similar to potatoes au gratin, it's a potato dish with cream, cheese, and bacon. MMMM


erm.. Just a wild guess, but I don't think that's quite the right way to ride a horse...

Free metro ALL NIGHT LONG!





Donate 1 euro to buy a tea light to help light up the unicef display




French kebap's








Sunshine after the rain

I know, too beautiful for words.

No comments:

Post a Comment